Friday, August 23, 2013

Hansen's: Natural Cane Soda Review


(Click on the logo to be directed to the Hansen's website)

Hansen's is a family company and has been around since as early as the 1930s. It started in Southern California with a father and his three sons squeezing fresh juice to sell to the locals. The great thing about Hansen's beverages is that they have always been free of preservatives, caffeine, sodium, artificial flavors, and artificial colors. They are completely natural and the Hansen's are presenting sodas you could actually say are healthy to drink. Soda? Healthy? Who ever thought they would hear those two words in the same sentence? In 2008, they decided to make an evener greater stride towards health in the switch from high fructose corn syrup to real cane sugar. If you're going to drink soda or let your kids drink soda, this would be the best choice. You and your kids can enjoy a sweet, carbonated drink that's not going to be detrimental to your long-term health.
First off, I want to let all of you know that I am not a regular soda drinker. I've steered clear of sodas, other than the occasional sip or two, for about the past 10 years or more. One day, I just decided that I did not want to put that unhealthy of a beverage through my system any longer. A main reason I still don't drink soda is because the carbonation usually upsets my stomach. However, anytime I see a soda that's a healthier alternative to your big name brands (such as Coke and Pepsi), I jump on it because my boyfriend is a soda drinker and I'm always looking for healthier alternatives for my family. When I saw Hansen's though, something in me thought that maybe this would be the occasional sweet, carbonated drink I could treat myself to and actually enjoy. I believe I was right. As I stated before, these sodas are lacking the unhealthy ingredients/contents that almost all sodas contain. They are made with NO preservatives, NO caffeine, NO sodium, and NO artificial flavors or colors. They also are free of high fructose corn syrup which you can find in almost any food/drink item being sold here in America. 


 


 The 4 flavors I am going to review are pictured to the left. Cherry Vanilla Creme, Mandarin Lime, Kiwi-Strawberry, and Creamy Root Beer. I was happy to find that the carbonation from the soda did not upset my stomach as it usually does which makes me wonder if maybe it's those other harmful ingredients that cause stomach upset when I happen to consume soda.

Creamy Root Beer

 

 I personally do not like root beer so I left it up to my boyfriend to review the Creamy Root Beer flavor. He is a big fan of food and beverages NOT containing high fructose corn syrup, as am I. As far as the flavor goes he said that it was sweeter than other root beers, almost too sweet, which is probably because of the real cane sugar used to make it. He also said that it was a very smooth root beer. He would recommend it to those who like root beer.

Cherry Vanilla Creme, Mandarin Lime, Kiwi Strawberry

 

The Cherry Vanilla Creme was my favorite out of the three flavors I reviewed. It was unusually sweet for soda but in a very good way, it was a treat. It tasted like dessert in a can. I definitely think the natural cane sugar has is a large contributor to the tastefulness of these sodas. I would recommend this flavor to people who like cream soda and other sweet flavored sodas. 




The Mandarin Lime was a really interesting flavor that I didn't think I was going to like but turns out I liked it a lot. You could taste both the mandarin and the lime really well and the two mixed together to create a great flavor. This flavor wasn't as sweet at the others but still very refreshing. I would recommend it to those who like tropical flavored sodas.

 




The Kiwi Strawberry, unfortunately, wasn't as delicious as I expected it to be but it was still enjoyable. You could taste the strawberry but it was very subtle and I was disappointed to find that I couldn't taste the kiwi at all. Either way, I liked this flavor too and would recommend it to anyone. All three flavors would be refreshing on any hot summer day.


Although there wasn't much to be said about these sodas, the reason I chose to review them was for their properties. The big one being that they do not contain high fructose corn syrup which is playing a big factor in the health of Americans. It's hard to pick up anything at the grocery store that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it and it shouldn't be that way. We should have a choice, more healthy food items/beverages need to be available to us to choose from in the grocery store. Another reason I chose the Hansen's Natural Cane Sodas is because they are all natural, another thing that's hard to come by in your local grocery stores. It is also very important that they contain none of the harmful additives like preservatives, caffeine, sodium, artificial flavors, and artificial colors. Overall, I would recommend these to anyone as an alternative to any other brand or type of soda. If you must drink soda, then this is what you should be drinking, as the other sodas are very unhealthy and could cause you a lot of trouble with your health down the road.






This is my first review of three that will be part of my next giveaway containing items from all three reviews, so keep track of the next review, and the one that follows to find out what you can win and how to win it! 












DISCLAIMER: These products were not sent to me directly from the company, I chose to purchase and review them 
 on my own accord. These are my honest thoughts and opinions on the products I have reviewed. This post also contains information gained from the company's website in order to inform you of the company responsible for this product. Giveaways are only valid to US residents for the time being.

3 comments:

  1. My boys love them! I feel better about them drinking soda now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no where on my can of kiwi strawberry that says no artificial flavors. It only says no artificial colors. In fact it says no fruit juice. So how else do they get fruit flavors if not from fruit? It says natural flavors on the ingredient list but that does not mean it doesn't contain artificial flavors! You have to be careful, their marketing is deceptive!

    ReplyDelete